Harris-Stowe State University (HSSU) is excited to offer faculty a professional development opportunity to strengthen student engagement with online teaching and support student success. Excellence in Online Instruction is a Thurgood Marshall College Fund (TMCF) initiative, in partnership with the Association of College and University Educators (ACUE).
60 HSSU faculty members will be invited to participate in ACUE’s comprehensive course: Effective Online Teaching Practices. This 25-module course in evidence-based teaching practices is delivered fully online with a cohort of your colleagues and is professionally facilitated by HSSU faculty members.
The program addresses all of the core competencies defined in ACUE’s Effective Practice Framework© and is organized into five major areas of practice:
- Designing an Effective Course
- Establishing a Productive Learning Environment
- Using Active Learning Strategies
- Promoting Higher Order Thinking
- Assessing to Inform Instruction and Promote Learning
All HSSU faculty are encouraged to apply.
Frequently Asked Questions
Will I receive “credit” for completing the course? Faculty who complete the program earn a nationally recognized Certificate in Effective College Instruction, the only college teaching credential endorsed by the American Council on Education (ACE), and will also earn digital badges, which can be added to curriculum vitae, used in teaching portfolios, and displayed on LinkedIn profiles or webpages as a sign of your achievement.
What does the course cost? This opportunity is offered at no cost.
What are the time commitment and requirements? Your fully online course will begin October 18, 2021. Each faculty cohort (of about 30 faculty members) will complete 25 modules over the academic year. Breaks and “make-up weeks” are built into the schedule. Faculty will be required to commit approximately 2 to 3 hours per module to the online self-paced modules and implementation of the teaching practices.
Resources and Information
- We invite you to watch the recording of our Informational webinar from August 17, 2021.
- You may hear what HBCU faculty say about their ACUE course experience
- Sample Video from ACUE Course: Welcoming Students to Online Learning
Timeline and Application
- Complete this online application form by September 29, 2021.
- For questions about the HSSU opportunity, contact Dr. Edward Hill, Interim Provost for Academic Affairs at email@example.com.
- For questions on the ACUE programs, contact Bacari Brown, ACUE Partnership Director at firstname.lastname@example.org.